What Is 360° feedback?
360° feedback is feedback that comes from the combined perspective of direct reports, peers and managers as well as the leader self-assessment. In some cases it can also include feedback from external sources, such as customers and vendors. The raters comment about the leader’s communication, team work, and leadership and management skills. Successful 360s are not used for performance review or appraisal–performance reviews are about the job an employee is doing. The purpose of the 360° feedback should be to encourage and support the development of excellent leadership within the organization. The 360° review from combined perspectives helps to provide a clear picture for the employee about their behavior, impact and interpersonal relationships. They are an effective tool to hone professional skills and focus on developing leaders by giving them insights into how others see them.
Having great leadership abilities is very important in business but what specific qualities do you need to be an effective leader? We’ll examine the qualities that help to inspire and motivate everyone that works with you. It doesn’t matter if you are presently struggling with leadership skills, anyone can develop the ability and become an excellent leader.
Leading By Example Is the Key
A great leader is actually someone who can lead by example. It’s important that you commit yourself to a purpose before you can get others to follow you. The first thing that should happen is you have to know the subject matter or required skills very well. With your specific knowledge of the job, you can help to assist and motivate your fellow team members to get optimum results. Don’t be somebody who simply hands off responsibility to others without any involvement or guidance. You will not have to know every last detail but you should have enough understanding to guide your team to a successful conclusion.
Once the Key Project Team Roles have been identified it is now time to go to Phase II of the process: Five Phases of Implementation.
Take a moment to review the Five Phases of the Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders Implementation Process.
Clarify the purpose, scope and timeline; identify and meet with project team members
Announce the program to the organization and notify leaders and raters who will be participating
Assign access codes using an EPIC Account for the 363-assessment process, follow-up to ensure completion, and generate reports
Meet with leaders to process feedback, create action plans, and schedule follow-up
Meet with project team to review program results, identify opportunities for improvements, and plan next steps
While every organization has a different process for initiating and delivering a 360-feedback program, our work-flow materials assume that the formal process for using Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders within your organization has been approved, and you’re ready to take the steps necessary for a successful implementation.
First, take a moment to review the Key Project Team Roles of the Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders Implementation Process.
PROJECT TEAM ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Executive Sponsor has the authority to implement and champion Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders within the organization.
- Program Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution of Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders. The Program Manager works with participants and the project team to ensure that all parties have the information and resources they need.
- EPIC Administrator is responsible for the EPIC Account (to most efficient way to issue 363s and have FREE unlimited raters) process from start to finish.
- Coach provides leaders with their 363 feedback, answers their questions, helps them create action plans, and follows up to ensure that learning takes place. We recommend that trained coaches, either internal or external, be used unless managers have been trained in the coaching process.
An Everything DiSC 363 for Leaders Profile is unique from our other products because it uses assessment results from many respondents to produce a 360-feedback profile for one individual – a Leader. In addition to feedback on current leadership behavior, the profile also provides the leader with three personalized strategies for improving leadership effectiveness.
The Leader is given an online assessment which takes 20-30 minutes to complete.
The assessment is in Two Parts:
- a 79-item DiSC assessment – showing DiSC behavior results
- a 72-item Leadership Behavior section – about how he or she as a leader tends to lead.