Avoiding Fundamental Sales Mistakes
There are thousands of different ideas on how to make effective sales. Some people believe the only thing that matters is the end result: closing the deal. Others believe that they can get through on charm and knowledge of a product alone. There are even some that believe asking again and again is the only way to make a sale. All of these people are actually wrong. The reality is that fundamental mistakes are made in all of the approaches and that these mistakes generally happen right at the start of the process. This is because those involved in sales are fixated on making a sale, which is the end result. Hence, they forget all the necessary initial steps. Let’s take a look at how to make a killer sale the right way.
One way to become a better salesperson is to discover your DiSC Sales Style. By doing so you will improve your success percentage but learning what your natural sales style is and how to adapt it to sell into your customer’s buying behavior.
The Everything DiSC Sales Profile will give you valuable insights into this and detailed improvement strategies.
Believe in Yourself
The first thing you have to do is make sure that you understand your priorities and believe in yourself. You have to accept that you are a salesperson and that this is where your strength lies. You have to have the positive attitude necessary to believe that you will actually make a sale at the end of the day. Only with the right attitude will you see positive results.
“When people are convinced of their value, they’re unstoppable.”
7 Tips to Make Killer Sales Calls (Even if You Dread Them)
Only when you believe in your own value will you be able to deal with those customers at the other end of the telephone who may have bad attitudes and don’t really want to hear your pitch. Only by believing that you can make a sale will you be able to do so. You will have to face many rejections, and only by always believing that the next call may not be a rejection will you be able to get through.
Talk, But Mainly Listen
Another thing is that too many people involved in sales believe they have to do all the talking. They believe that the only way they can close the deal is by telling the potential customer again and again that they should make a purchase. The reality, however, is that a good sales person is a very good listener, as well. The most effective salespeople understand what priorities their customers have and what they value most. Salespeople can learn to read the behaviors of their customers so that they can easily adapt their behavior to relate better to the customer.
“Remember to talk only 20% of the time, and listen the other 80%. Don’t talk about the functions of your product. Instead, find out what problems the perspective client is having, and talk about how your product can be the solution they need.” How The Best Salespeople Make The Sale
This is almost a reverse of what many sales people currently do. They try to explain that their product is the solution to all of their customer’s problems, because they don’t know what sort of problems their customer is actually having. Turn this around by having a conversation and finding out what a customer is dealing with and only then explain that your product can be the solution for that particular issue.
Always Be Grateful
Finally, you must always express gratitude, even if you don’t close the deal.
“Always thank the potential client for allowing you a few moments in his busy day.” 8 Tips for a Successful Sales Call
Gratitude can be expressed several times during a conversation. Indeed, you can start by saying thanks for taking a few moments to listen to your story. At the end of the conversation, you have to repeat this, even if they haven’t agreed to purchase your product or service. People appreciate feeling appreciated. This means that they will remember your company and your product as well, so if they do at some point require the product, they will be more likely to come to you. Sales does not end at the moment your conversation with the prospective client ends, after all.